Tabs

Why I Vote

With another Federal Election in the books, I hope we all exercised our right to vote & made our voices heard. A few characters I know wanted to, but they had "better" things to do. The part I don't understand is that not only did they have an entire day, but there were advanced polling stations available last week! I bet you'd have voted if the election was a question on Facebook though. But I digress. Rather than lecturing you, here's why I vote.

My Dad used to tell this story about how back in Guyana, they had elections. The people who wanted to vote though, never got fair opportunities. The PNC would stop people from voting against them, ensuring their grip of power. That's why ever since he came to Canada, he's always made an effort to vote. Don't take my word for this story though. Go find an older Guyanese person & start a conversation with the name "Burnham". Then, enjoy the free lecture you get.

People all over the world don't get the opportunities that we take for granted. Look at the Middle East, for example. You think the people risking their lives to start revolutions would skip an election? Additionally, you can't complain about the way things are if you don't speak up when you get the chance to (& I DO like to rant). So if you couldn't make it out this time, don't stress it. You missed your chance to tell the leaders of our country what you think of the work they are doing locally & around the world. Another election will come around though. Until then, remember that you can't take back the words you never said.

1 comment: